Woman dies after having bee-sting therapy

A woman has died after undergoing bee-sting therapy, a form of treatment backed by Gwyneth Paltrow.

The 55-year-old Spanish woman had been having live bee acupuncture for two years when she developed a severe reaction.

She died weeks later of multiple organ failure.

Researchers who studied the case say live bee acupuncture therapy is “unsafe and unadvisable”.

It is thought to be the first death due to the treatment of someone who was previously tolerant of the stings.

The woman’s case has been reported in the┬áJournal of Investigational Allergology and Clinical Immunology, by doctors from the allergy division of University Hospital, Madrid.

She had been having the treatment once a month for two years at a private clinic to improve muscular contractures and stress.

During a session, she developed wheezing, shortness of breath, and sudden loss of consciousness immediately after a live bee sting.

She was given steroid medication but no adrenaline was available, and it took 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive.

The woman had no history of any other diseases like asthma or heart disease, or other risk factors, or any previous allergic reactions.

The doctors found severe anaphylaxis had caused a massive stroke and permanent coma with multiple organ failure.

But they acknowledged that because the treatment often takes place in private clinics, these measures may not be possible.

One of the report’s authors Ricardo Madrigal-Burgaleta concluded: “The risks of undergoing apitherapy may exceed the presumed benefits, leading us to conclude that this practice is both unsafe and unadvisable.”

Source : BBC NEWS

Khairopati News

leave a comment

Create Account



Log In Your Account